After a hectic few months of wedding planning, most couples look forward to spending two weeks chilling out on a beach in the Maldives. Not us. We decided to take a minimoon. A minimoon is a romantic short escape, usually close to home, which provides the chance to save up or take the time off at a later date. It became popular during the credit crunch as it allowed couples to save money. Rajiv always wanted to go the Amalfi Coast and I was sold as soon as I realised how beautiful it is. We went over the Easter weekend from 1st April to 6th April and these are our tips:
- The best time to see the Amalfi Coast is from April to June, the when the spring flowers are in bloom the weather is just warm enough, and the temperature of the Mediterranean allows for the first dips of the season. By choosing late spring or early summer, you can also avoid the tourist crush of July and August and the oppressive temperatures later in the year.
- Eat like a local. Local fish, including octopus, prawns, calamari and clams, are plucked from the sea daily and are as good in a light summer salad
as they are tossed over linguini. The regional wines are delicious, with prices that don’t break the bank. Some of our favorite restaurants were small family-owned joints that served some of the best pizza and fish we’ve ever had: a few of our favourites were Ristorante Max and Palazzo Murat
- Put on your walking shoes. Walking and hiking the Amalfi Coast, with its hills and endless steps, is not for the feint of heart. But if you are in good shape, there is no better way to visit the small towns and villages that dot the coastline. We walked the breathtaking Il Sentiero degli Dei, the
Pathway of the Gods, that runs above the towns of the Amalfi Coast.
- Visit Pompeii on the way to/from the Amalfi. The archeological site of ancient Pompeii is one of Italy’s top tourist attractions. It is the only place in the world where you can begin to understand, face to face,how the Romans of the first century lived: from brothels to posh dining rooms and bathing establishments. Pompeii is best visited in the morning, before the heat of the mid-day sun. At just 18 miles from the Naples airport, it is ideal to visit when
you are either arriving or departing from you trip to the Coast. No need to hire a guide as they are often pricey and don’t always add much value to the information
you can get in your guidebook.
- Go shopping but don’t buy the tourist stuff.
Shopping on the Amalfi Coast is crazy expensive and you are guaranteed to find something you like. Italy is famed for its fine leather goods and this calfskin napsack by Bruno Rossi is no exception. In a beautiful distressed tanned leather with brass hardware this timeless piece will only get better with age. Sturdy and spacious this has become my everyday bag, fit for my lunch, laptop and everything else. The leather has developed a beautiful natural patina and will always remind me of my minimoon and birthday #thankshubby